Editor's Picks

– News & Research
– ABLE Act Column
– Events

529 Dash, Required Reading for Your 529 Education: The goal of the 529 Dash is to address the specific needs and concerns of advisers and institutions who sell and service families and employers in the education financial planning process by creating and sharing industry relevant news, product training and best practices, while also building awareness and understanding of the importance of 529s, ABLE accounts and education financial planning.

Please Read, Engage and Share.

Paul Curley, CFA
Director of Savings Research
paul.curley@issmarketintelligence.com
Twitter: @PaulCurleyBC

News & Research: Article Round-Up

Here is what you need to know from stories, research and data released this week:

  • Federal Reserve Bank of New York, “Who borrows for college-and who repays?” Editor's Take: Deep analysis on the demographics of the student loan issue, and the article includes several tables that may be worth including in presentations to clients. Also, the Federal Reserves Bank of New York released an article here on household debt trends including an update on how student loans have reached $1.51 trillion as of the end of 2019 and that 11.1% of student loans are 90+ days deliquent or in default with an additional 9.2% on their way to transitioning to 90+ days deliquent as of the end of 2019. Together, that means 20.3% of student loans are failing. Learn more by reading the articles, and have the college financial planning conversation with your clients today.
  • Financial Advisor Magazine, “Why advisor specialists will win the day in future.” Editor's Take: While the article itself does not cover or discuss college financial planning, the statement applies the same that niches allow advisors to provide a unique value proposition to current and target clients. Furthermore, college financial planning will provide advisors with a “blue ocean” opportunity to grow and retain their book of business. Have the conversation with your clients today.
  • 529 Insiders, “Status Board: SECURE Act 529 State Updates.” Editor's Take: The status board was updated to reflect a change in categorization for Wisconsin. Click the link to review the updated status board.
  • 529 Insiders, “4Q 2019 529 and ABLE Market Sizing Highlights.” Editor's Take: Here is the latest 529 and ABLE market data that can be used by the media and other organizations.

ABLE Act Column

ABLE accounts are tax-advantaged savings accounts for certain individuals with disabilities and their families.

News, Research, Data & Resources:

  • StarTribune, “Minnesota advocates seek to abolish subminimum wages for people with disabilities.” Editor's Take: Timely topic on state legislation on the ability to save and save efficiently. Click to learn more.
  • New Hampshire Union Leader, “State treasurer resigns; deputy named as temporary replacement.” Editor's Take: It was a honor meeting Treasurer Dwyer in-person last year before his presentation on STABLE NH in Providence, Rhode Island. Follow New Hampshire Governor's Commission on Disability on Twitter and its website.
  • Youtube (video), “Special Needs Trusts & ABLE Accounts” by Military Families Learning Network. Editor's Take: Educational one hour video that compares and contrasts to the vehicles. Watch to learn more.
  • 529 Insiders , “4Q 2019 529 and ABLE Market Sizing Highlights.” Editor's Take: Here is the latest 529 and ABLE market data that can be used by the media and other organizations.

Events: 529 Conference 2020

Save the Date: 529 Conference 2020 will be held from September 24-26, 2020, at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes.

Updates:

  • 529 Conference 2020 website now has a FAQ tab to provide information on the most frequently asked questions. Click the link to learn more.
  • Working on the agenda for the 529 Essentials Seminar, and session time slots and titles to get posted online soon.
  • Registration is now open, and there is an early bird rate available now through June 19, 2020

Read more
 
March 2nd, 2020
Contact Us
EDITORIAL: Paul Curley
paul.curley@issmarketintelligence.com
Advertising:Austin Ulep
austin.ulep@issmarketintelligence.com
   
Subscribe to 529 Dash
Facebook
LinkedIn
Twitter

BrightScope   |   Investor Economics   |   Market Metrics   |   Matrix Solutions   |   Plan For Life   |   Simfund

702 King Farm Boulevard, Suite 400, Rockville, MD 20850  |  +1 212-944-4455  |  issgovernance.com

To learn about ISS Market Intelligence CLICK HERE. To unsubscribe from this alert, please click here